This fellowship is accessible to international students who are currently pursuing or want to pursue a doctoral or master’s degree in Japan. Applications from outside Japan are accepted if the individual has been admitted to a Japanese graduate institution. Participation is encouraged by people of all countries and scientific disciplines. To apply to the foundation, applicants do not need to be pre-selected by the institution.
Honjo International Scholarship Foundation 2021
- This award is for international students enrolled in a graduate program in Japan.
- The scholarship funds will be distributed beginning in September 2021.
- The winner of the Bursary is not required to repay the Foundation’s funds.
- The winner’s bursary length should be calculated based on the duration of the degree program.
- ¥180kper month for three years.
- ¥150kper month for four years or five years.
NOTE: The student is not permitted to change courses once the bursary has begun.
NOTE: Those with a tenure of fewer than 12 months are not qualified for this fellowship.
- 7. Bursary winners receive travel awards to cover foreign conference attendance fees based on our bursary requirements.
- 8. The bursary winner is not permitted to accept any other prize in addition to the bursary offered by our foundation.
- 9. A bursary recipient is not permitted to work part-time, such as as a teaching assistant or research assistant, or in foreign exchange vocations such as transductors and interpreters while receiving our bursary.
- 10. The award winner will be subjected to an individual interview as well as any foundation-sponsored activities.
- 11. The winner is expected to participate in our student activities after graduating from our foundation.
Amounts of Bursaries Available
Only a few Masters and Ph.D. Scholarships are available yearly.
- A student who is not a resident/citizen of Japan.
- Students must be enrolled in a graduate program in Japan in the fall of 2021 or actively participate in a course that begins in the fall of 2021. Those who are currently registered as well as those who have not yet registered (including those who are already working on the program) are both eligible for such a bursary if they enroll in the fall of 2021. Those interested in attending graduate school in the spring of 2022 should apply for the 2022 program between September 1 and October 30, 2021.
- A student enrolled in a graduate profession is not qualified to apply in principle.
Students who can submit a research proposal, on the other hand, are eligible to apply.
- The registration period must last more than 12 months until graduation.
- To be considered for a Ph.D. program, a student must begin the program before the age of 35. Students wishing to pursue an MA must begin their studies before the age of 30.
- The student must be genuine in his or her desire to serve his or her native country as a future professional goal.
- The student must be fully aware of and participate in funding activities, as well as in global friendship and goodwill.
- The student must be able to communicate in Japanese on a daily basis. The interviews are being held in Japanese. (There are no exceptions.)
Duration of the Grant
From April 1 to May 5, 2021
How to Submit Application
- Go to the “web application system” and enter all of the required information. Upload the necessary documents in PDF format.
- Once you have completed the application process, you will be given an application number.
The application numbers of selected students will be published on our website, so please keep the number you were given.
Documents required to be uploaded are as follows:
- Academic transcript(In Japanese or English; please attach a translation in case of other languages.)
- Academic transcript of the undergraduate course (Required)
If you transferred to the university from the College of Technology (kōsen school system), the transcript from that school is also required.
- Academic transcript of the graduate school (If you do not have the transcript, you do not need to submit it.)
- Research Proposal: Use the designated template and write in the Japanese language.
The template of the MS Word file is available on our website. What we want applicants to describe:
- What you are going to research
- What and how you are going to contribute to your home country based on what you will learn or study in Japan
- What you already achieved regarding research, academic, and social activity
- A recommendation letter from a supervisor: Please obtain a recommendation letter describing your academic performances, personal characteristics evaluation, future potential, etc. You can also obtain a recommendation letter from your previous supervisor in your country if the recommender is familiar with your academic background.
*The number of sheets and formats is not designated.
*The recommender can send the recommendation letter directly to the foundation without sending it to the applicant. The letter should be sent from the recommender’s email account to [email protected] no later than the date of the deadline. The application number should be included in the subject of the email.
- Documents that prove admission, such as an admission letter, a letter of acceptance, etc. Please upload the certificate of enrollment only if the student is already enrolling in graduate school.
- If the admission letter or the letter of acceptance is not available by May 5, 2021, please enter the probable date that is available on the “web application system” and then send it to the HISF office via email as soon as it is available. Note that, after May 6, 2021, you cannot log into the web application system.
- Even if the envelopes are directed as “Confidential” or “Invalid if opened”, open all the envelopes and upload the documents as PDF files through the “scholarship web application system”.
- Photocopied documents can also be used and uploaded.
Miscellaneous notes on entry
- Application documents are not required to be sent by post.
- The data you input in the “web application system” can be rewritten or replaced at any time until May 5, 2021. The latest data is automatically overwritten.
- The application documents will not be returned to the applicants.
- Regarding the personal information written in the application documents, they will be fully confidential.
However, please be confirmed that limited personal information will be provided for the following specific persons.
- The application documents can be submitted to the selection committee members for document screening and selection process.
- The personal information can be used for confirming the contents of the application, and for inquiring to confirm the scholarship overlapping, to the university staff and other scholarship organizations, during the selection process.
- First selection (Screening of documents): The result of the first selection will be announced by June 30, 2021. The application numbers of the selected candidates will be posted on the site.
- 2ndselection (Interview): Organized in early July, in Tokyo or by video call.
*The detailed schedule for the interview will be informed directly to those who pass the first selection process.
*The definite date of the interview will be posted on our website when confirmed.
- Final results of the scholarship award: July 31, 2021.
*The application numbers of the selected candidates will be posted on our website.
About Scholarship Payment
- In the following cases, scholarship payments can be stopped. The recipient may require to pay back the scholarship amount that has already been paid, according to the decision made by the Board of Directors.
- When it is difficult to continue schooling or research due to illness or other reasons.
- When the supervisor recognized that the recipient is ineligible for continuing study or conducting the research.
- In case of academic achievement failure or worst behavior discovered.
- When your act as a scholar is recognized worst enough to hurting the honor of the Foundation.
For Inquiry about the Scholarship * Inquiries are accepted by email.
Honjo International Scholarship Foundation
1-14-9, Tomigaya, Shibuya-ku, Tokyo 151-0063
Send inquiries to: [email protected]