Did you know that people in the US and UK are spending more time on TikTok than on YouTube? With the rise of short videos, it’s a no-brainer why YouTube introduced the “Shorts” feature. YouTube Shorts have been in testing since 2020. Later, Instagram joined the race with Instagram Reels. In no time, YouTube Shorts have become popular. According to YouTube CEO Susan Wojcicki, YouTube Shorts have surpassed 5 trillion views.
At the same time, TikTok is a popular choice among short-video creators. People watch more than 167 million TikTok videos in one minute. Amazing, right? More importantly, 90 percent of TikTok users visit the application more than once a day. These statistics show the popularity of the platform. So, which should you choose?
Regardless where you decide to upload your content and become a social media star, you need a video maker online to make quality content. Promo is one of the best online video editors available on the editor. To know more about Promo video makers online, click here.
In this article, we will compare YouTube Shorts and TikTok videos. We will share their similarities and differences. In addition, we will help you to choose the right platform for you.
Since its launch, TikTok has been controversial in many ways. Many countries have banned the platform. The United States also threatened to ban TikTok in 2020. Despite all the bans and threats, the application is reaching new milestones.
Compared to other applications, TikTok is mostly driven by creators and influencers. The platform is not about making friends or sending messages to each other. Instead, you can follow different creators according to your taste and enjoy their content.
Another thing about TikTok is that it features more humour than other social media platforms. Similar to a video maker online, the platform gives a range of tools and filters to improve your videos. Once must be familiar with these tools or ready to experiment to get the most out of it.
Recent statistics about the application are very convincing for new creators. Here are few of them
- 60 percent of TikTok users are female.
- About 70 percent of the United States teens are using the platform.
- Most of the app downloads are made on Android devices, which indicates it’s popular all over the world.
- The application is available in over 150 countries. More importantly, it is one of the top 25 most-used applications in 139 countries.
- In the United States, about 25 percent of internet users have watched a TikTok video.
- Audio features are extremely significant on TikTok. With the application’s music library, you can use a lot of audio to tell your story.
- TikTok is regularly introducing new audio and video filters and effects allowing you to share unique content. Usually, these new audio and video effects drive trends on TikTok. Moreover, you can use a video maker online to add unique effects.
- Since TikTok offers limited ways to use text in your posts, hashtags are very important. Moreover, hashtag challenges are incredibly popular on the app.
- With over a billion active monthly users, TikTok is one of the most used social media platforms.
- Statistics show that Gen Z loves the platform. Compared to Instagram, TikTok has more Gen Z users (37.3 million). Furthermore, it is expected to cross Snapchat as well by 2023.
- One third of TikTok users are from 10 to 19 years.
Pros of TikTok
- User engagement is extremely high on TikTok.
- Most brands haven’t fully explored the platform. If you are willing to understand the platform, you have more chances to stand out.
- Brands that focus on user-generated content have a lot of opportunities on the platform.
- With storytelling, it is the perfect platform to reach all audiences.
Cons of TikTok
- The platform features entertaining and humorous content, which makes it difficult for brands to fit on the app.
- Compared to Facebook and other social media networks, TikTok is not mature enough to offer data about audiences.
- Brands usually have an approval process before a post is published. Unfortunately, trends come and go very quickly on TikTok, which could be troublesome for brands.
With the popularity of TikTok, YouTube decided to jump into the short videos segment as well. Using Shorts camera in the YouTube application, creators can create videos. For now, there is no option to monetize your Shorts.
For viewers, the process is similar to TikTok. Scroll and continue watching new content.
YouTube Shorts Statistics
Unfortunately, YouTube hasn’t released much statistics about its new feature. During beta testing in India, YouTube claimed to get 3.5 billion Shorts views each day.
YouTube Shorts Tools
- Content creators can automatically include captions to their shorts.
- Record videos up to 60 seconds in a single video.
- Some filters are available while the platform promises to offer more soon. You can use a video maker online to use modern filters.
- Users can upload videos from their gallery.
YouTube Shorts Audiences
- The platform has more than 2 billion active monthly users.
- About 95 percent of 18-29 years old people use YouTube in the United States.
- For now, there is no audience specific data about YouTube Shorts. The platform hasn’t revealed who is watching Shorts.
Pros of YouTube Shorts
- YouTube is extremely committed to Shorts as they have included a “Shorts” button to access them easily.
- With a huge number of active monthly users, any new feature is highly likely to get content viewers and creators.
- If you have a YouTube channel, you already have followers to show you creations.
Cons of YouTube Shorts
- YouTube Shorts are launched much later than TikTok.
- The platform has a fan base that likes polished and long content.
Both platforms are unique and offer a number of advantages. However, TikTok is clearly the winner for now. With more tools and dedicated applications, TikTok has a clear advantage over YouTube Shorts. Moreover, YouTube is not a social media application and has a different type of audience. However, YouTube Shorts are growing and have a bright future. Since YouTube Shorts lack modern tools, you can use a video maker online to add filters and effects.